Hey girls! I’ve seen a lot of you posting about what is needed for an at home gym, or looking for some home organization ideas so i thought why not do a post on my mini home gym that i put together for tiu workouts. Basically my tone it up workout nook! These are the basic necessities i think every tone it up girl should have in their home. Best part is you can find most of these items at target or home good stores! hope this give you girls an idea of what you may need to start your very own mini home gym!
1. Free Weights if you want Karena’s arms you know you better have some free weights on hand! Id say free weights are number one for a home gym especially with tiu workouts they take up such little space & are a necessity for fine toning. The best part is you don’t need a full weight rack to get results! 5-10lb weights are perfect and weights are charged by the pound so hey the less you lift the cheaper it is haha ok ok thats not really the way you want to look at it for picking out your weights. With all weights start with whats comfortable but still challenges you for beginners 5 lbs is perfect! if thats too heavy go lower.. remember you won’t just be using these weights in one movement then a break~ you’ll usually have them in your hands for the entire workout so choose wisely plus you can always grab a heavier weight during certain moves if the lighter one isn’t challenging enough. Personally i prefer the rubber weights for fine toning because they feel a lot nicer in your hands when you’re using the same ones for full workouts.
2. kettlebell these little guys seem to be Katrina’s favourite and i mean she is kettle bell certified! Kettlebells are used to combine cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training all in one! The best thing about kettle bells is allows you to train muscles you probably aren’t use to training in your normal day to day exercise routine. So why not switch it up?!?! They say not to go too light when picking out your kettle bell because you won’t achieve the full benefits from swinging it around. So try to find something not too heavy or too light but something that will still challenge you~ remember you want to keep proper form and not injure yourself! Find out what weight works for you to start off with ~ sneak down an aisle and test it out in stores- you know you’ll thank yourself later lol
3. Resistance bands if you purchased the new Beachbabe DVD then you know resistance bands are needed ( Karena did say the tone it up store should be carrying their own one soon – which is exciting!) They are super light which makes these babies the BEST equipment to travel with! They also come in Light, Medium, Heavy and Heavy duty resistance! These are great to have at home because you can buy attachment pieces that go slid into your door frame and you can use for a row, pull down etc exercises and best part these babies don’t cost much at all- like these ones in the pic shown can be found at walmart for 12$!
4. Exercise Ball these guys help out with building core stability and strengthen your back and spine, posture and muscle (some people even use em as office chairs!) a new video using this was added to the Beachbabe DVD3 which i have yet to try out but looks like fun and definitely challenging. I will admit i don’t use this guy too often but seeing the benefits they supply its def time to start rotating into my fitness routine!
5. Yoga mat these are great to have for adding padding and support while practising yoga and are also great to use when stretching. Their are many different type of yoga mats, some offer absorption features so when you are sweating you aren’t sliding all over the mat while trying to hold your poses. So its best to do research on what type of mat you are looking for and for what purpose you are trying to use it for. Hot yoga and daily yoga practises will sometimes need to have different needs from the mats. Same with beginner to intermediate yogis out there!
6. Yoga blocks these little gems aren’t necessary for everyone but for beginners like myself or those of us with a tummy that gets in the way of holding/ getting into positions this aids in helping us achieve better form and prevent injuries. if you don’t have yoga blocks you can always use a heavy duty firm book in its place to help bring the ground to you. Im by no means flexible so when i discovered these gems they def helped me out a lot (as seen in photograph)
7. Straps so speaking of not being flexible, straps are great in helping aid in holding stretches. If you are straining other parts of your body while trying to stretch a certain area that can cause injuries and improper stretches. So these little guys are perfect to help you get a proper stretch in and again for those of us with a tummy (or inflexible) this helps in extending our arms in our reach. There are great youtube videos that show you how to use them properly
8. Foam roller this beauty is my holy grail when it comes to fitness equipment! i suffer from tight muscles, back & It band issues so this has been pretty much my go to lover when I’m in pain! Foam rollers basically give you a deep massage on your muscles. They are amazing and i won’t lie when doing certain moves can hurt but in the best kinda hurt possible because when you are done you feel so relaxed and like you are floating on air haha. K&K recently did a foam roller stretch routine which i love and learned new movements. You can really help those muscles in your shoulder blades, arms, back legs get a deep massage and loosen em up in your very own home! I don’t know what id do without mine!
and lastly STORAGE!!! this guy is probably my fav basket in my house and has multiple uses but holding my fitness essentials is so practical and convenient, You can just toss everything in there all your equipment (well id recommend gently putting your weights away so you don’t damage the basket duh lol) but it makes everything clutter free and so easy to put away and all your workout gear is all in one spot. This basket is easily tucked into a corner in any room and looks adorable. There is even a chalkboard label attached to the front if you want to label it ! I bought this gem at target and I’m obsessed ! i defiantly think this storage basket is every girls at home dream fitness organization ! and it holds a lot!
Hope you girls enjoyed this little break down of what have at home in my mini gym! and tag me (@kandisfit) in your pics!! I would love to see what you girls have came up with for your home gym or if you ended up picking up my fav basket! everything you saw pictured was picked up from either target or home goods! you’d be surprised how many fitness stuff there is at home good stores now! happy shopping & happy organizing